Pazo del Sar
Located in Rois, La Coruña (View Map)
The Pazo del Sar is an early 18th century building in a baroque civilian Compostelean style, with strong Italian influences that give away the Genovese origin of his founder, the Marquis of Piombino.Equidistant between Padron and Santiago de Compostela, the old Camino de Santiago Portugués (Southern Way of St. James) crosses the property and runs parallel to the river up to the Parada de Francos, a small village documented from the 12th century as final lodging.
In the early decades of the 20th century, the Pazo del Sar served as the summer royal residence of H.M King Alfonso XIII and Prince Louis of Bavaria on their visits to Santiago de Compostela.
The estate covers an area of 126,000 m2 and the beautifully constructed main building exceeds 2,100 m2. Notable among the elite of the great Galician estate houses for its industrial origin, as it was founded after the Real Fábrica del Faramello paper factory, a pioneer and champion of the industry in Galicia for over two centuries. The old mills and tools are still on display.
Built in terraces over the river canyon, the Manor House is surrounded by an ancient Atlantic forest in perfect condition. This conservation effort is amply rewarded by the amazing biodiversity of the place; otters, owls, herons, wild ducks, trout, vermillion frogs, squirrels, ferrets, kingfisher, red foxes, endangered species like the turquoise lizard das silvas find shelter here.
The Chapel of the Manor (1727) houses a wooden altarpiece made by one of the most acclaimed sculptors of the Cathedral of St. James, the master Joseph Gambino, son of one of the founders of the Pazo.
There are plenty of historical and literary references the Pazo, its former stables housed the arsenal against French troops in the victorious riots of June 2, 1808 and it´s been a literary reference to some of the most illustrious Galician writers, two of them awarded with the Nobel Prize (Rosalía de Castro and Camilo J. Cela).
The Lord of the Pazo holds the honor, never exerted, of being permitted to enter into the Cathedral of St. James on horseback. This right was given by Royal Privilege in 1815.